Big-head shrimp at Pusing Public

Had a lot of language difficulties here. Bring a Chinese friend! It was kind of a splurge ― tableclothes and chandeliers, and I was an odd duck as a solo diner in a huge room of tables meant for eight, but jeez, I came at noon-thirty on a Monday. I'm making your life easy. It's one of those huge Chinese banquet halls you see in HK ― for wedding receptions, business gatherings. On the menu, these big boys are called "dry fried prawns in supreme sauce." Well-named, because the sauce is an umami explosion.

Servers wear uniforms and ear sets. It's open only six hours a day. Noon to 2:30, and 6 to 9:30, something like that. Tab was 50 ringgit, or about $12. Attentive tea refills and a moistened towel ― but also a dozen eyes like WTF is he doing here? Awkward but delicious. Didn't see a smile until I produced my credit card. 3/5. Be better.

Only two times in my life have I felt this sneering negativity as a consumer ― in Hong Kong and at Pusing Public. I honestly think it's a racial thing. The food gets my recommendation, however.



Comments

Popular Posts