Nasi kandar

Whew, this north Malaysian delicacy was amazing. I got it at Nasi Kandar Pekam Lama at the foot of Kinta Heights, a 20-story apartment block. Using Maps to find it on foot, I was instructed to take a dirt path along the river and cross a footbridge. Pretty cool. The dish is obviously Indian-influenced, but the curry is a little different ― addictively sour, but just slightly. I like how the curry leaves glisten. A cop who looks like Barack Obama's twin brother was sitting next to me, eating it with his hands. Total boss move. On the tables were bottles of Kicap Suria, a sweet Malaysian soy sauce that's new to me. Would have gone twice in one day but they close at 4 p.m. Check this place out if you are looking for spicy red chicken in Ipoh. Wow!

"Nasi" means "rice." "Kandar" means "shoulder." So literally "rice carried on the shoulder," referring to long-ago traveling vendors.





Comments

Popular Posts